Schwerin and its lakes
The lakes in and around Schwerin offer very high and constant water quality. Approved by the “Blue Flag” of the European Union.
Blue is the main colour of Schwerin, oldest town of Mecklenburg and dominated by its twelve lakes. The greatest of them all is lake Schweriner See: only few people know that it’s actually one of the biggest lakes in Germany with 64 square kilometres. With its small bays and islands it is the highlight of any visit to Schwerin. In spring and summer season you can see many sailing boats crossing the waters, people on the beaches and outdoor cafés along the lakeside.
- Hiking Put your hiking boots on and off you go! Take a walk along public hiking paths, adventure tracks and the lakeshores around Schwerin. Follow our tracks and you’ll be safe on your way.
- Cycling tours The lakes in and around Schwerin invite you for a tour. Enjoy green meadows, luscious flowerbeds and a fresh summer breeze along the waterside. Ride on!
- Go Swimming Schwerin is the perfect place to go swimming and dive into the deep. All the lakes and small islands around the Palace have been formed by the last ice age. Today it is easy to get into the summer feeling, for example at Zippendorf beach with its fine white sand. It’s almost like a holiday by the sea
- Boat Cruises Schwerin can be the starting point of your journey, a highlight in between or the grand finale of your trip. You shouldn’t miss out on this jewel of the north, which gave its name to an entire lake district. Standing on the rail of your ship, it’ll make you feel like the king of the world.
- Canoe Going by canoe or kayak, you’ll get to see the best of it, closer to nature and water than ever. Come on and dive in!
- Sailing The lakes of this area are still an insiders’ tip among sailors. They are full of beautiful sites, secret spots and challenges.
Where to go swimming
Schwerin is the perfect place to go swimming and dive into the deep. All the lakes and small islands around the Palace have been formed by the last ice age. Today it is easy to get into the summer feeling, for example at Zippendorf beach with its fine white sand. It’s almost like a holiday by the sea.
Zippendorf Beach and Promenade
In Zippendorf beach you’ll find a long stretch of white sand, making you feel like being by the sea. The spot is not even far from the city centre, easy to reach on foot or by bike, by the southern shore of lake Schweriner See.
Ever since the 19th century, Zippendorf has been a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. The lakeside promenade, villas, cafés and restaurants are typical of this part of town and underline the holiday feeling. Every summer hundreds of sun-seekers come here to relax, play beach volleyball, go out or have a drink.
The water quality is perfect for swimming, having been awarded the Blue Flag by the European Union. And of course safety comes first, as the beach is supervised by water rescue.
Lake Schweriner Innensee: Am Reppin
This spot is probably the most romantic place of the area. Located in Schwerin-Muess behind the castle of Reppin, there is a large green sunbathing area with a great view of lake Schweriner See.
Lake Schweriner Innensee: Kalkwerder
The outdoor swimming pool in Kalkwerder by the shore of lake Schweriner See is easy to reach via bicycle and hiking tracks. It is the perfect place for young and old where you can enjoy sports and go swimming, including diving boards, changing facilities, non-swimmers’ pool and a water slide for kids.
Schweriner Aussensee: Seehof
This place offers green spaces and great opportunities to go sunbathing, do sports and have a picnic. Located near a camping site, it has a bathing dock and shallow lakeshore, ideal for a perfect summer’s day.
Lake Ostorfer See: Leisure resort Kaspelwerder
In Kaspelwerder, you’ll find nice green sunbathing areas, an excellent starting point to go swimming. The leisure resort provides all kinds of free time activities: table tennis, pool and boat hire.
Lake Lankower See
All around lake Lankower See there are many small beaches and swimming areas, as well as playgrounds and a boat hire. It is also the best place to go for a walk through the beautiful hillside paths and enjoy the view of the waterside.